"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable." - C.S. Lewis
My thoughts don't sleep these days. There are more wandering words in my mind than I could possibly blog. The next 2 months are going to be unpredictable. I find myself trying to mentally prepare but... how do you prepare of the unpredictable?
I want to stay in London but it looks like I can't for visa reasons. I'm going back to the states for the holidays then I may try to come back... but time is not on my side right now. Wait time for visas are around 6 months because the border control laws are being overhauled. Money isn't on my side either. Between visas, travel expenses, and having no money... Its not looking like I'd get back to England until June.... and that doesn't help. It really bites. I wish I could stay for just 9 more months...
In my preparation to come back to the states, I've been thinking more about American politics, in particular, proposition 8. I've seen some news coverage that bothers me. I have never been a political person but prop 8 has sparked something in me. The way I grew up was "as long as it's not hurting anyone else, it's cool" but apathy seems to be wearing off as I get older. The more I mature (even at slow rates), this becomes more clear- I believe in marriage. It is important to me. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I have also chosen to heed the council of church leaders and support the sanctity of marriage. For these reasons, I have decided it is important for me to declare my beliefs by supporting the protection of marriage.
I am not particularly eloquent when it comes to addressing sensitive topics like this but I was pretty impressed with Josh's blog. Prop 8 has been a topic of conversation for us a few times. I think that Josh and I have slightly different views on things but I admire his flexibility, fairness, and I respect his opinions.
In other random news, I bought myself a ticket to see the special Clarity tour by Jimmy Eat World. I'm going to see the last performance of the tour in Tempe. Is this good news? No. This is AMAZING news!!! Clarity is my favorite album of all time and seeing them perform it in it's entirety?! I feel like I have a second chance at life since I missed the boat 10 years ago. I think I might have a meltdown like a screaming Michael Jackson fan...
Lets go back to the beginning- why the love quote from C.S. Lewis? Life is rough. It is a hard time for me and my family. Right now I'm trying to roll with the punches even though they hurt. Sometimes life sucks. Sometimes timing is off. Sometimes I let myself become callused by experiences that I have no control over. However, C.S. Lewis had it right- "to love is to be vulnerable." I have felt that vulnerability more in the last year than I have my whole life. Upon moving to London, the dynamics of every relationship I had changed. It has been sobering, tearful, humbling, and rewarding. I'm grateful for the experiences I've had despite any pain or confusion. It has pointed me in a direction of gratitude and I've come to see how blessed I am. I have food to eat, a nice place to live, family that love me, friends and a boyfriend who uplift and support me, and church doctrine that strengthens and gives me peace. Everyone that has helped- you know who you are and you know I love you.
The countdown has begun now I guess... 19 days.

14 comments:
OH NO !!!!
You probably think that was your father, but it wasnt, but I do agree with anonymous. C'mon, just because you are in your own world, open up. Do you get ridiculed for your religious beliefs? Dont be someone that thinks you are better than other people. Your not!! I have a feeling this blog will get a LOT deeper than you ever thought, unless the mormon's are the only people that read, and make comments on this. You should concentrate on your life, and let people be happy!!
Seriously what makes you think you can go around shouting your beliefs to the world and expect them to just follow whatever the hell you have to say? Please! I'm hardly religious at all and i know right now, you are a moron. plain and simple. The gays and lesbians have every right to be happy. How would you frikkin like it if some other religious punks came out and said YOU can't get married to the one person you love the most because it's destroying the sanctity of marriage?? Who said what marriage is? and who has the right to define such a flexible term? Who the hell do you think you are to go and take away someones rights? How could you be so full of hate? Think twice before you open your fat mouth and let bullshit stream from your lips.
Take it easy A-2, after all that is my daughter. There were a lot of other people that must have felt the same way too. (I dont get it, but that's beside the point)Maybe she did think twice before she opened her fat mouth, whoops, her mouth, sorry Misty. Besides, bullshit streaming thru our mouths is a family gift handed down from generation to generation!!!
You were right about 1 thing A-2, she is Mormon (I think you were wanting to use that word instead of moron, right)Right or wrong, if she knows gay people or not, thats what makes us all individuals.
Maybe dont be such a hater yourself, teach.
It really doesn't matter what you think of marriage, gays or religion for that matter when it comes to proposition 8. All of the above are inconsequential. Proposition 8 is about equality pure and simple. Gay Americans are just that Americans who happen to be gay. They pay taxes, stimulate our economy... The constitution of this country says that all men are created equal. So go ahead and hold on to your religious convictions as narrow-minded as they may be, but do not under any circumstances think that you have any right to take someone elses rights away from them. For your sake I hope that one day you don't have to tell your own gay child that they are not allowed to marry because you and those like you said so.
I think it's funny that the one truly passing judgement is not my beloved Misty, but those posters above mine....Sad day.
I personally don't 100% agree with Prop 8, but I respect Misty's right to practice her beliefs and protect an institution under God. I LOVE YOU HON! =)
Marriage is a law binding contract between two people... PERIOD. If you choose to have your marriage blessed by your religious faith then that is your choice. Did you know that 50% of first marriages ( 67% of second marriage and 74% of third marriages) end in divorce and yes that includes marriages performed in churches, synagogues and temples so the sanctity of marriage just went out the window. Homosexuals are entitled to every right that a heterosexual is entitled too. Equal rights for all gay, straight, black, white,Christians, Jewish or Mormon. Religions need to teach humanity not hate.
Does anyone else think that is paradoxical that the people seeking to condescend and insult are the people preaching against hate? "sheltered little mormon world"? "Think twice before you open your fat mouth and let bullshit stream from your lips." Really? And Misty needs to stop being hateful? I really can't believe the vitriolic spew of hate speak that came from the people who feign a love of love and equality. The only thing that disgusts me more than your hate-speak is your cowardice.
As if your ad hominem attacks weren't enough to completely disregard your fallacy riddled opposition to Misty's blog, you've also set up a strawman argument by attacking things that Misty never said. Nowhere does she claim to hate homosexuals. Nowhere does she say that she expects anyone to follow what she is saying. In all honesty she doesn't even "shout her beliefs to the world." This is her BLOG: intended for friends and family. Perhaps you are friends or family. If that is the case you need to question how much you believe in families and how much you actually believe in "love".
If you want to talk about this like grown-ups: present your case. All you've done is slurred someone for stating their beliefs and made unqualified blanket statements that do not touch the true base of the issue.
To some of us, marriage is MORE than a civil contract. To some of us, marriage is MORE than a social connection. Marriage is an institution that is sacred, and established by God. If you are religious and believe in the Bible, Torah, or the Quran, you agree with me. If you are not religious, or you are of a religious background that doesn't believe in those holy books, then we can talk about politics or any other facet of the issue that you like.
Politically, the rights associated with marriage are not denied to homosexuals. They have the same rights under the law as heterosexual couples. At this point, it is not the "rights" that you are concerned about but the nomenclature. However, marriage, to the religious, is more than nomenclature, it is more than just terminology. To the religious Marriage is a real, palpable and, most importantly, sacred principle. Regardless of chances of success, marriage is sacred and needs to be preserved in society. What about the right of the religious members of our country to protect what they consider sacred? At what point will every social organization suffer legislated incursion in the name of equality? By following down this road we threaten to water down the rule of law and moral standing of our country.
Within our system rights can only be extended to the point that they do not tread upon the rights of other members of society. These are principles of the social contract upon which America was based. Surely there is a compromise that can be reached. There is no need that we need to create a false binary between gay marriage and homophobia. It a false idea and is only being used to justify hatred and divisive feelings.
Feel free to contact me if you feel like you really want to talk about the issue and understand what other people think and feel about it. But please, don't bother if all you really want to do is blast back. I'm busy.
Goodnight and Good luck.
RE: "Just out of curiosity...do you even know any gay or lesbian people? Living in your sheltered little, mormon world you have probably never had an in-depth conversation with a gay or lesbian person." - Anonymous.
Anonymous, do you even know Misty? Why on Earth would you think that her life has been sheltered? Because she is Mormon or because she supports marriage as between a man and a woman? You may feel very strongly about this issue, and I understand that, but it doesn't help anyone (including your cause for "equality") to make blanket and general assumptions about the views the "opposition" takes. Have YOU ever sat down for an in-depth conversation with Misty and tried to understand her views? Have you tried to understand why so many people who DO care about equal rights would stand up for something like marriage and the family? When you do, you may discover that those "narrow minded 'religious' people" that voted for and support Yes on 8 aren't doing so out of hate for homosexuals and especially not because they've never met or talked to a homosexual. I highly recommend taking a deeper look at what being open minded really means to you.
It is possible that many people were voting FOR something and not against something or someone.
RE: "Seriously what makes you think you can go around shouting your beliefs to the world and expect them to just follow whatever the hell you have to say?"
Anonymous 2, it seems clear that you are under the mistaken belief that those who voted Yes on 8 expected anyone to do anything besides vote on the issue. What took place is called the Democratic process. Both sides were "shouting" their beliefs and hoping that people would listen, but no one was forced to vote anything. The American citizens of California voted (for the second time) to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Either side could have won. It was a close vote, but the majority made their will known. To say that anyone forced anything is false.
Once again, the claim that hate was the driving force behind those who voted or supported Yes on 8 is unfounded. First, I have known Misty for years and know full well that she is not a hateful person. Second, this decision affected many (for example, my step-sister for example who lives in San Francisco and is heavily involved in the arts community there) who have strong friendships with many homosexuals. These are people who work closely with many homosexuals and have strong friendships with them. To say that they voted Yes out of hate shows a complete misunderstanding either of what hate is or of what the Yes side was voting for.
I wish to keep my anonymity, so please don’t hate me anyone. Anyways, I think everyone should be able to marry. After all, why let only straight people be miserable?
Really though. A-2. That is my niece you are bagging on. Keep it clean, respectable and somewhat intelligent. What makes her opinion stupid, moronic and hateful and your opinion so nice and cheery?
I am still under the impression that religion and politics will always be a fight (please look to Iraq, US or the Gaza strip if you don’t believe me). I say, if you believe in this prop 8 thing, cool. If you don’t believe in it cool.
Either way….(long pause) It is…..What it is.
My name is Lee Barrett and I approve this anonymous
First off I'd like to say thank you to MIsty for standing up for what you believe and courageously putting it out there for all to see and valiantly defending yourself. I know that this particular situation has deeply affected you and would like to offer my support in whatever shape, form or fashion that I can provide.
Personally I am very surprised that this issue rages on despite the decisive vote on Nov. 4th. Like Misty, I have tended to be politically apathetic in the past and maybe I'll just be adding fuel to the fire here, but I feel it's important that having been exposed to the issue at hand that I attempt to make my voice and choice heard.
I would like to expound on a key point that Joshua touched on and which has been communicated over and over like a mantra from opponents of Prop. 8.
I've heard/seen it being stated over and over again that supporters of Prop. 8 seek to take away the rights of homosexuals to marry.
My argument is plain and simple: MARRIAGE IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT, civil, inalienable or otherwise. Just like getting a drivers license, you need to apply to get a marriage license.
On the contrary, one does not need to apply to get a license for the basic inalienable civil rights we all have under the constitution of the United States of America such as freedom of speech or the right to peaceably assemble (on public property). One can argue that you do need to register a gun you buy, but as far as I know you don't need a license to operate one.
Since marriage is a privilege, seeking to affirm it's definition as it has existed for thousands of years in wide scale amongst the majority of societies and under the direction of GOD through his holy word does not and CANNOT take anyone else's rights away .
And from what I understand, in terms of privileges, homosexual unions in the state of California already can enjoy most if not all the practical and material benefits a married couple can ... so really what is being taken away? A title? Something that 3 people with some authority decided to give against the clear desire of a majority when put to the vote of the populace?
Anyone can recognize that despite the existence of homosexuality since almost the beginning of the creation of man that the Gay and Lesbian movement has come a far way in garnering awareness and recognition for the issues near and dear to them over the last 20 years or so. I believe this would not have even been a political issue as little as 10 years ago much less thousands of years ago when the first homosexual chose to come out of his caveman closet. I jest, but really I have to ask myself why is this such a big issue NOW?
Who knows but that maybe our next president will be a female and we'll still have a First Lady! But for now, I urge the opposition to let it be... the voice of the people have spoken, let us fight no more.
Personally I seek to be like God in my very limited ability to do so. God states that he is love and no respecter of persons. Thus I attempt to understand all persons and appreciate each as a creation of God and foster the pure love of Christ or charity which is the love for all.
I am not perfect but I know I hold no hate in my heart for those of homosexual preference.
Best regards and hope everyone had lots to be thankful for this past weekend!
Me ke aloha pumehana,
Kaipo
P.S. FYI: the name in the title is a nickname I've garnered from playing basketball with a select group of friends over the years and maybe a small reflection of my desire to be a little more adventurous than average but nothing more or less than that... least as far as I know ;-)
I've heard a whole lot about this blog from several sources in regards to what Misty wrote, and the responses given.
I've known Misty her entire life. I have seen her as a child grow into a lovely young lady. I have carefully raised her to be respectful, kind, giving, and loving.
My influence on her is only a small portion as I know that her father, grandparents, uncles, aunts and various teachers throughout her life has given her a wonderful opportunity to learn from outstanding individuals as well.
I'm completely sadden by what "anonymous" wrote, as I know who "anonymous" is. It's crystal clear.
I have one thing to say to you and that is this: "May God bless you" our God is a God of love, not of contention.
In this mortal Earth school, we are ALL here to learn. Nobody is perfect.
One thing I am extremely proud of is that my daughter is proud to stand for something. I've always hoped that my children would all learn to stand for something, because otherwise they'd fall for anything and everything.
Misty you are an amazing person. You are kind, caring, giving, and LOVING.
I will PROUDLY SIGN,
YOUR MOM
PS
I am NOT afraid!
dear mr. "anonymous",
i have been hearing what you have been saying to misty and she is very hurt. can you please stop and just simmer down and not say rude comments like "Think twice before you open your fat mouth and let bullshit stream from your lips." and "Seriously what makes you think you can go around shouting your beliefs to the world and expect them to just follow whatever the hell you have to say?"first of all you made it seem like you are expecting people to follow it when you put it like that!!! i say think before you act. because obviously,you need to CALM DOWN!!!!
I mean seriously, what made you hate misty sooo much?! she is very kind and loving!!!! and obviously, (no offence) but you just got burned by all of these people who could agree with my words as kind and loving to describe misty so not in a mean way, but back off!!!
ps- if this is a joke of yours by hurting people's feelings, then will mind but knock it off!!!!
I know I am a bit late but I wanted to say this earlier and caught up with some other stuff. To Mr. Anonymous your obviously a hyprocrite because you spit all this negativity and hate (the same thing you are accusing her of)towards a person you obviously don't know. If you knew Misty you would know she is one of the most loving, kind hearted, giving, supporting, understanding, one of the best friends a person can be blessed to have, etc. people you will ever know. But like i said you obviously don't know her very well to write all the stuff you wrote.
Whether you agree with her or not she is entitled to her own opinion thats what this country was founded on was freedom of speech. In no way did she preach or set any example of judgement or hate in her blog she simply just stated her opinion which she has every right to do. I have known this girl for years. I personally don't support prop 8 but i respect misty's stand on the issue and highly respect the fact that she is strong enough in her beliefs to not be afraid to speak up about what she believes. And you could learn something from her too instead of writing all angry online and hiding behind your opinion with no name and no face and maybe stating your opinion without the hate and negativity you may get your point across a little bit better .
Your looking to point fingers and put the blame on the wrong person for why something is not going the way you would like it to and like i said above saying things like what you just said does not help your situation it only makes it worse. Try approaching the situation with some positivity and respect for another person's difference of opinion and you might get heard a little clearer. What you said was wrong and frankly made me angry that you would talk about my friend like that when you barely know her. I wanted to cuss you out in her defense but that would go against what I was trying to point out to you in my little essay i just wrote and if I did that I would also be wrong. Try thinking before you write next time its not that hard.
Post a Comment