I'll share one of my favorites. I really enjoyed Uchtdorf's talk in the Relief Society broadcast. I think his talk was beautiful if just for the fact that he was delicately speaking to the women of the church. One thing I really liked that he mentioned was to not let the fear of failure paralyze you. I thought about some of the personal failures in my life. I've had failed classes in my undergrad, relationships, and many other things. From those experiences I have grown and tried to not repeat mistakes but I've also learned to make excuses as to why I'm not being better. At times when I could have been stronger and fought through, I've become comfortable and complacent.
It reminds me of something my grandpa said to me when we were riding bikes in Ireland. We rented bikes and I got a street type bike while he got a mountain one. I didn't know where we would be riding so I wasn't bothered about the kind of bike I got. While we were riding, he saw a path off the trail that looked like it may be cool. I said, "Yeah that looks cool but there's quite a bit of mud up there and my tires are kinda crappy... they aren't like yours..." He said, "Umm... is that an excuse?" as he started to ride up the trail. If you know my grandpa, he's REALLY outgoing and competitive. I was kinda miffed for a second thinking, Hey! I have a legit excuse! I don't wanna get hurt! Then I realized that was pretty dumb and that I would miss out if I didn't go. I started up the path, mud flying, way behind my grandpa, until my tires were so covered in mud that I couldn't pedal anymore and started toppling over. My grandpa turned around to see me struggling and we laughed. I have wondered since that day how many excuses I let in the way of doing cool things... hmmm...
That night, I met a guy who just moved to London. His name is Josh Everett. He's in London getting his masters in anthropology. He's really weird and quirky but super cool. After dinner a bunch of us went over to a friend's house to watch a movie. On the way, Josh and I chatted about music and I got really excited cause I think I found someone to go to gigs with! He has good taste too. He just needs to learn that Minus the Bear is better than Botch. =)
I love London. I will be home in EXACTLY 2 months from today... I can't believe it. I seriously don't want to sleep anymore (I hardly do actually). I want to do something fun every single day/minute/second I'm here. I love it. I'll come back someday... I don't know when... but I will...

4 comments:
Fun is lame. Try doing something forbidden, yet boring.
Hi Misty!
I came across your blog when I was doing a search on singles wards in London. I am from SLC, currently living in San Diego, CA. I am going to be moving to London next summer to take a job and have been so worried about meeting people!
Anyways, happy I came across your blog because it actually makes me really excited for my big adventure next summer!
Thanks!
Danielle
That's my sister!!!! Live life to the fullest Misty!!!!
Wrawk on!!!,
Sarah :P :) B)
Your picture with the guards reminds me of Austin Powers 2 when they posed all crazy with the guard and traded clothes with him and Austin ate the feathers off his hat. That was funny.
Post a Comment