Saturday, 30 August 2008

Scotland!!!





Holy Sheep!  My first view of Scotland was filled with sheep and there's no signs of stopping!  I flew into Edinburgh (pronounced: ed- in- bur-ah)  on my first day here.  I was SOOOOO excited to see my grandparents!!  Their flight arrived an hour after mine so waiting for them was torture!  I haven't been homesick while I've been in London but seeing them seemed to fill a hole that I didn't even know was empty.  Only grandparents can do something amazing like that...

We got our things together and left the airport with our driver Vince.  On our way to our hotel we stopped at the first castle I've seen in my life.  There was a traditional Scottish wedding happening in the back of the castle.  There were men in kilts and I believe they were military men of sorts.  The big beehive in this picture is a dovecot.  Yeah... I'm not really into that... Haha!

As most of you know, there are different versions of the bible that are written.  One of the highly recognized standards in the Christian world is the 
King James version.  While driving to our hotel, we passed by a church where our driver said that King James had called together the best to translate the bible.  Things like that definitely make you see a bigger picture in the span of time.

We stayed at the Old Course Hotel in St. Andrews.  It overlooks one of the best golf courses in the world.  Right when we were pulling up to the hotel my grandpa asked me how many people I lived with.  I told them I was one of seven in a four bedroom house.  They said that I would probably appreciate the fact that they got me my own hotel room for the trip!  Yep... MY OWN ROOM!!!!!  It is GORGEOUS!!!  There was a plate of fruit, roses, and a view of the course!  How could it possibly get better?  A surprise from my sisters in California!  They both wrote me notes and sent me one of my old stuffed animals from home.  After much debate I left my rabbit, Pigment, at home in London so I loved my surprise!  (Natalie and Sarah, I love you too!  I can't wait to see your wee pretty faces and go get mexican food and shop!  Thank you for keeping me updated with everyone!)

There are also amazing sights right outside the hotel grounds.  Beyond the golf course is the Northern Sea and the beach where Chariots of Fire was filmed.  

That night we ate some delicious food at our hotel including a chocolate creme brulee, apple toffee cheese cake, and ice cream.  I rolled myself up to my room, took a hot bath, and watched some great documentaries on music festivals.  It was great to sprawl out on  a huge bed that I had all to myself!  

More to come soon!  We travel a lot in the car so I'm going to try typing a lot while we drive in between destinations!  Woo hoo!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to visit Scotland, lucky you!!

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd see the day, when that dirty lil rat would make it to London! I'm talking about the stuffed animal...