Friday, 22 August 2008

Fulbright & Jaworski International LLP

Contrary to popular belief, I do not have a brilliant exciting adventure every day. With this in mind, I thought I'd give you all a taste of the average day in the life of Misty. "You think you know but you have no idea" aka I'm bored at work.

My average day, I get up at 7am to the sound of my laptop's alarm clock which plays music from my itunes. I mix it up- a little Format here, Fiest there. Some times when I know I'll need that extra boost to get out of bed, I set it to "Touch my body" by Mariah Carey. It makes me laugh (thanks Johnny). I lay in bed for a second, check my email and facebook but then I realize I need to get up and fight for the shower. There are 3 of us girls that get up around the same time that share a bathroom- it's every woman for herself. Larissa and I share a room so we talk and yak about our post-work plans while we put on make up and do hair. At 8:15 I realize I should have left the house already and scramble to throw my heels in my bag and run out the door wearing comfortable shoes. This happens every morning- I always feel I'll be late. It's tricky because I need to walk to the train station which takes about 13-16 minutes and catch the train that leaves from the station sometime between 8:29-8:31. If I don't make that train, I'd have to catch the next one so I'd be 15 minutes late to work. Not good.

I take the train to City Thameslink which is by Blackfriars Bridge. Just to give you some reference, if you stand from that bridge, you can see the Tower Bridge. It's 2 minutes from the river and St. Paul's Cathedral. This is a picture of the street I walk down every day. It's usually filled with men and women in suits bustling around to get to work, get lunch, or go home. It's very fast paced. I like it.... most of the time...

I took this picture on our balcony at work. Does it look familiar? "Feed the birds... tuppence a bag" -Mary Poppins, one of my favorite Disney movies.

As for my actual job, I do a lot of random things. My title is Reception/Hospitality Assistant. I work on a floor where there are only meeting rooms. Some look straight out at St. Pauls. It's stunning. Most of the time I do random things. I make coffee for meetings, help out with random administrative work for people on other floors, and greet guests. Our guests range from Chinese business men, to officials of Ghana (who found oil!), to people who's titles begin with "His Highness". It's very interesting. Lee got his wish for me- sometimes I work for people that make me feel like I'm in "The Devil Wears Prada." They can be kinda demanding on random things that they want and we fetch it for them. It's cool though... it keeps me on my toes and every day is a little different. I love that.



I work with some really nice people. A woman from Ghana, an English bloke, and an old lady from Germany. Everyone is really cool to talk to. Sometimes the German lady drives me crazy. She calls me her "little Misty-line", swears a lot, and complains about how the dishes are not sparkling enough. She's kookie and it's entertaining.

When the end of the day comes, I kick off my heels and get excited about the rest of the day. Mondays are FHE and Thursdays Institute. It would take too long to go back home before I need to be at the church so I try to kill some time at museums or parks. Let me tell you, one of my favorite things is walking through a museum listening to my ipod or sitting at a park reading or writing. I've found I can empty my mind of rubbish and and think about life... which can be good and bad.

I usually go to bed between 12-2am. Haha! Yep, nothing has changed since Vegas. I must say... I do feel a bit more healthy. I climb LOTS of stairs every day- whether in the underground, work, or home, I'm always moving around. I also have gotten used to eating in a british fashion: light breakfast/lunch and hearty dinner meal. I eat lots of yogurt, granola, fruit, and sandwiches. I LOVE kebabs though. A good chicken kebab makes me soooo happy. They are like a big taco- Naan bread folded with chicken, lettus, tomato, onions, and garlic sauce inside. Mmmm... with a side of chips (french fries) with vinegar, salt, ketchup, and mayo... So good!!!! Kebab shops are open late on the weekends so it's the social food to eat at night before going home at 1am.

So... that's the average day in a nut shell. I do random cool things during the week. I went to the Hayward on Wednesday night. It was absolutely incredible. The architectural ideas and creativity are amazing. It is very "high brow" but one of those places that makes you want to create something. I went with some girls in my ward and we wandered around for a couple hours. One of my favorite things I saw had a wall on one side of a living room set up. In the middle of the wall was a big hole- as if an explosion had shattered it. The living room scene reflected the explosion as well. It was like you took a picture or froze time to see how the living room was effected. Semi broken lamps and fragments of furniture were hung from the ceiling on wires perfectly organized in 3d to depict an imaginary explosion. It's hard to explain but it was incredible.

I wanna wrap up with a couple shout outs before I go:

Chrissy, come out here and we'll watch the chimps at the London Zoo!

Loren and Bob, I'm so glad you are alive and doing well. I love you both so much.

My Marie Pie, I can't wait to have you out here! Hurry up!

My brilliant Grandparents, I can't wait to see you guys in a week! I can't believe it!

Celia, where are you my love?

Bernie, I took this picture for you of Harrods... I think about you every time I pass by or go in. Come visit me and we'll go shop =)

3 comments:

Alex Dye said...

Ooo, I hope I too can one day get a shout out..

Mike and Megan Johnson said...

Thanks for your comment! We are so excited! I would love to hear from you. My number is 702-556-2561. You look like your having a fantastic ecperience! How long are you staying in London? Talk to you soon! Luv ya girl!

elopingcamel said...

You better hope that kooky German lady doesn't read your blog or you are toast. TOAST!