Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Day 2







Day 2 of Scotland was fantastic.  The next morning we ate breakfast and set out to see more of St. Andrews and nearby areas.  We we reinacted some running from the Chariots of Fire beach  and walked out to touch the Northern Sea- it was cold!  

We went to a cathedral/university area where we saw some dedicated grounds.  In Scotland they mark out places where important people died with plaques and initials on the ground.  It was really cool but pretty sad because they were usually killed in some kind of horrific way. 
  

My grandpa and I climbed to the top of the old cathedral tower and soaked in the spectacular view of St. Andrews.  We also saw some amazing old grave stones.  I couldn't believe the dates that we found on some of the graves and that they are still standing!  

We also went to another castle.  This castle was great because it was on the edge of the sea.  It had a moat around it that would have put up a great fight.  The castle had other interesting areas- a kitchen area, underground tunnels, and on the edge of the castle closest to the sea, they have a little hole that drops down into the cliffs below- yep- a toilet!  The weather was so perfect (light rain) and it made me feel like I was really back in the 1500's in a castle!  This is about when I decided that I was princess material and could definitely live in a castle.  Haha... 

Next, we saw the Stirling castle.  We had a tasty lunch at the cafe and tried to follow the audio tour around it.  It didn't work out so well but we had a good time.... until we lost my grandma somewhere in there... haha!  (she actually wandered back to the car to wait with Vince.  I think she was tired of walking.)  

My grandpa and I walked around the castle more.  They had a museum in the hotel that had information about Scotland during different wars.  It was really interesting to read the journal entries and first hand accounts of war activity.  My grandpa was very adamant about finding the outer walls so he could see over all the land below the castle.  (Watch out everyone... I think his new desired toy may be a castle...  )  The view was incredible.  I started to think about how the Scottish people had so much pride and would do anything to defend their land, specifically, their castles.  It makes me want to be super proud of something enough to defend it and give anything for it.... maybe... my values?  That sounds like a good place to start.  

At this point of the day, there were so many facts jammed in my head about names, dates, and wars that I started to get a bit loopy and wander.  I found a garden part of the castle where there are these skinny crevices of stone walls where I imagined myself being in the castle while it's under attack!  Haha... Parts of Braveheart were filmed here so I think that's how my imagination got away from me.  

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at The Pineapple.  It's this random place that's out of commission that's shaped as, you guessed it, a giant pineapple.  I have no idea why but I do remember that there was tons of horse poo on the grass and beautiful flowers everywhere.  Hey, there's only so much your brain can absorb in one day!

That night we ate at a place called the Doll's house.  I had some amazing beef something or other covered in yummy peppercorn sauce.  I also got a wonderful banoffee pie for dessert.  I don't think we have banoffee in the USA so I'll explain.  It's a graham cracker crust with a whipped cream, banana slices, and soft toffee.  Oh mother!  It is delicioso!  

Another bath after dinner, a phone call to my friend Sean Daniel and I hit the hay... 


No comments: