Tuesday, 15 July 2008

British Bowling!


I forgot to post this picture from a couple weeks ago.  A group of us went to Hyde Park to play games.  Anytime it gets over 70 degrees and not raining, Londoners get all excited and feel the need to hurry to the park and go swimming... mind you, they went swimming in COLD murky duck pond type water.  Seriously, there is green slime and duck turds on the shore so they have ramps and ladders to get down into the water.  Needless to say, I didn't go in.  I like being Hep free.  

Last night was very fun.  For FHE, we went bowling!  It was so weird!  There was an ice
 skating rink and a bowling alley down in this basement thing.  It's still really weird to walk around and think about how there are always things going on underground- bowling alleys, trains, and places where people live.  

Anyways, bowling herewas just like American bowling except a bit worse.  The alley was really old so the tv's were really hard to see and the lanes were pretty beat up.  Probably cause they've been there for 200 years.  I didn't feel like I was bowling very well and I realized why:  You can't see any of the little arrows that are on the lane between the pins and where you release the ball.  Ghetto.  

The people in my ward are really cool.  It's a totally different feel than California and even Las Vegas.  Everyone is really down to Earth and there are no cliques!  Everyone will strike up a conversation with anyone else and it seems like there are no ill feelings.  All too often it seems like if you're not getting along with people in other places, you just ditch them and find other people to hang out with so you don't fix problems.  It's not like that here with these kids.  It just seems like they depend upon each other to be their own little community that they don't let things get in the way.  I love that.  Hooray for small town mentality in a big city!  

Moving along from my community rant, after bowling we went to a waffle house.  So weird.  You'd think since they primarily sell waffles, they'd make em right when you order it right?  Nope.  They take em out of a fridge and warm them up.  Gross.  For goodness sakes British people, even Coldstone Creamery make their own bloody sugar cones in the store!  To make matters worse, the waffles tasted like toast.  Sheesh.

I always have fun riding the tubes home at night.  You walk to a station with your friends and everyone gets off at different stops so you just hang out and socialize till your stop comes up.  I love that.  It gives you good bonding time.   Well, that's all for now until my next big adventure.  
Oh, a picture!  
Look closely... what is that?  103 won?  Who is that?  Oh yeah, that's ME!  

3 comments:

Britni said...

You sound like you are having soo much fun!!! i Love it!

elopingcamel said...

You are a liar.

What is bowling herewas? It sounds like some kind of Navajo thing.

Anonymous said...

Remember you? Of course I remember you! I could never forget you. You look amazing and it I'm so glad you are having "adventures." Keep in touch! It's so good to hear from you.