Last Tuesday was a tough day. I woke up to find it confirmed that my best friend Tim is getting married on September 30. I'm very happy for him- he's marrying a good girl- but I was really upset that I won't get to attend his wedding.
I felt really weird all morning but had to go on an interview. They had pretty much chosen someone before I even got to see the lady and it was frustrating. I could tell that they didn't care about me being there at all. At this point, I was super frustrated with trying to find a good job. I had been doing some temp work but I wanted to stay somewhere for awhile. The biggest problem seems to be that no one wants to train me for a really good job if I'm going to leave. It also sucks that I have a degree and I'm getting paid less than I'm worth. I'm sure everyone feels like that at some point though... Anyways, I came home, took care of some other bills, applied for more jobs, and eventually sat down on the couch, watched a rerun of Gilmore Girls and ate nearly an entire package of HobNobs (which are these amazing little cookie things that I eat all the time). I realized I was wallowing and that that wasn't going to help. I went up on our roof, read scriptures, and eventually took a cat nap in the sunshine. I woke up to hear that my roommates wanted to do a BBQ on the roof so I decided to walk down to the store and get something to roast.
On the walk down to the store, I was thinking about my day and was pretty bummed out and wasn't sure about being social. When I got home I found a box on the table- with my name on it! My amazing Grandma sent me packets of enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and bottles of ranch dressing and salsa. I freaked out for awhile and my roommates thought I was crazy because I was so excited over salad dressing. It seriously made me feel better though...I love you So-oh. That's a pretty ghetto BBQ huh? It was so good!
Thursday saw some more interesting times... I finally was able to open a bank account (It was Bank of America's stupid fault) so I went down to National Westminster Bank. I was waiting for the right bus when this old English man started talking to me. He reeked of BO and pubs so I assumed he was asking for money. I tried ignoring him and just said no to whatever he said. He was pretty creepy because he kept inching toward me. I had no idea what he was saying until one point he said, "You're beautiful!" in a drunken accent. Just then a bus was pulling up so I got up and went to get on. He said, "Your face! On pictures! You're beautiful!" He followed me up to the bus but didn't on. He started shouting and raising his fists up in the air saying, "You're beautiful! On pictures!!!!!" then as I was walking to find a seat on the bus, he followed me on the outside with his hands on the bus and in the air yelling "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL ON PICTURES!!!! BEAUTIFUL ON PICTURES!!!! BEAUTIFUL ON PICTURES!!!!" The bus was silent- everyone staring at me then back at the homeless man. He was yelling at me from the exit door so finally the bus driver shut the doors and we took off. At the next stop we picked up another crazy who started yelling obscenities at the bus driver. I'm surprised the driver didn't get out and bust his head but I guess they have pity on the old drunken Englishmen. Fun eh?
Saturday was awesome. I decided English "tortillas" are dodgy so I made some home made tortillas for enchiladas. Best enchiladas I've ever had. Thanks again So-oh!
When I first moved here I would walk around and see things that would make me realize I was actually living in London. That excitement fades but when it comes back, it's strong. Something I really like about the temp thing is that I get to see the city. This week I worked for a company by London Bridge. So there I was, walking to work across London Bridge.
On my way home I decided to see some sights. I stopped by Southwark Cathedral which is older than my country! I talked with this very nice old man who worked there. He asked where I was from and started telling me things about the church that were linked to America. This was the very cathedral that John Harvard, as in Harvard University, was baptized in.
The English had also done their share of oppressing Native Americans in Europe so there was a monument dedicated in 2006 by the Queen herself in honor of a chief who died. When I told the old man that I was Native American he lifted up his glasses to take a proper look at me. He said he had never in his life met a Native American. Haha! He then took me out on the grounds himself and showed me this little sculpture thing. Random huh?
The last 2 days after work I have gone to Tate Modern (an art museum) and I still have only gotten through 2 floors of art. One of the most amazing things I saw was Monet's 'Water-lillies'. Oh, it was so beautiful. I sat and stared for about 20 minutes. I couldn't believe I was looking at a real Monet. Also, Pablo Freakin Picasso... what a stud. I can't believe I saw all that stuff. I took pictures of some stuff but then I got in trouble because apparently you're not supposed to take pictures. I didn't want to get kicked out so I guess I had to comply. Sad.
Also, if you know me well, you know that I
love textures. I don't hesitate to reach out and feel something that looks interesting. Tate Modern had rooms full of art with textures and color.... and wouldn't you know it... they covered it all up with glass. Argh....It was torture! Tate Modern is beautiful- I took this picture from the inside. it's gorgeous.
After Tate Modern closed one day I decided to go poke around in Parliament. You have to get screened through security and stuff but I actually got to see a debate in the House of Commons. The clerk dude was actually wearing a robe and one of those big white wigs.
ey started getting a bit cheeky with each other. That was brilliant.
Alright, well that's all for now. Also... this reminded me of my dad. Can you find the hidden message in this picture? I bet my dad can. Haha...

7 comments:
ha ha ha ever get the feeling youve been cheated!
Good to see anarchy is alive and well somewhere!
Cheated? Are you talking about there not being any decent tortillas in London? =)
Haha, Beautiful on Pictures, that's your new nickname. BoP.
Also funny to see you throwing words like "wicked" into your sentences, probably not even noticing at this point.
Wow! Never met a Native American? I guess it makes sense in a way...because you weren't in America...
Misty... London... Wow! That is exciting that you finally made it over there! Ryan and I visited Europe last year and it was amazing, I can't imagine living there!
If you want updates on our life check out our blog at forevertheyoungfamily.blogspot.com
-Sara Young
WOW Misty I am so jealous! Sounds like you're having an amazing experience living in London right now... We do miss you though :(
MMMMMM ranch!!!
Post a Comment