Sunday, 30 May 2010

London Love Part Deux

When I look back at my life, it feels like a small miracle that I experienced the things I experienced. There were some things I swore I would never do and ended up doing them. There are some people that I didn't think I would make friends with and I have. There are some things I said I wouldn't like... and ended up liking them. And then there are some times when I am completely right....

The distance between London and Huntington Beach is about 5,456 miles.... and it felt it. I wondered if we had be just set up for failure though. With the back drop of London with its beautiful light rain, spectacular museums, and vacation feel, I wondered if I had just had a London fling. I worried that maybe he was just too good to be true. I didn't want to get my hopes up. I needed more time and consistency. I certainly got it.

For 6 long months Josh and I saw each other and talked via Skype. At first it was casual... I told him when I got asked out by people. I told him they were handsome men. I told him they were very nice gentlemen. I felt good about this. I wanted to see how he reacted. Truthfully, I hated it. The guys that were asking me out were handsome gentlemen but had the personality of rocks. I found Josh and his interests so fascinating that nothing could compare.

After an amount of time, I felt really safe with our relationship. Josh was a great friend. He was fun to talk to and hang out with online. I was content with the distance and felt like everything was fine... until a few American tarts entered the picture. I had spies on Josh the whole time we were apart. I knew the church activities he went to, I knew how he was doing in school, I knew who he was hanging out with... which is where the problem began. I heard through the grapevine that there were some women that were semi aggressively showing interest in Josh. Yep, the claws were about to come out.

I realized that although I was casually hanging out with people of the opposite sex, he wasn't allowed to. Luckily, with the help of good friends who had my back, I was able to preserve my class and still fight back. I also began a full fledged facebook attack to Josh's page: "I love you"'s and baby talk and all. It was a huge turning point for me. Josh was mine. I was willing to fight for him because he was worth it. I knew him like no one else. I helped him through his times of need and he with mine. No one, I repeat, NO ONE could get in the way of that. I understand that this may sound obsessive but once you have something that unique and special, you're willing to do anything. It's true... love does make you a little crazy. And boy was I about to do some crazy stuff.

For those of you that may not know, in England, you can get your masters in a year. You do about about 8 months of course work in an actual class room and the last few months you spend researching and writing a dissertation. One day, Josh informed me of this. Our relationship had grown by leaps and bounds and he made a deal with me. He told me he would leave London (insane) and move back to America where he could do his research to finish his paper. But he could only move one place to do his research: Provo Utah. Yep, I did the thing I said I would never do: move to Utah.

Josh loves books and had a lot of things to bring home and I missed friends and Josh terribly so I decided to take a trip to London. So, just before my birthday, I flew out. Josh and I hadn't seen each other in almost exactly 6 months (even thought we spoke EVERY DAY). I was so nervous. I spent all the money I had to get out there. I wondered if we'd see each other and just go "meh". I worried that maybe we'd just lose interest and I'd end up moving to Provo for nothing.... but I think all great things come with a bit of a risk.

Terrified, excited, full of emotions, and broke, I arrived in London. He met me at the airport. He even shaved his beard for me. It was weird making the connection that this was the man I had fallen for in London then connected with via internet. We hugged and both admitted we were nervous. We held hands awkwardly like it was the first time. I was exhausted from traveling so he helped me with my luggage and let me rest at his place, affectionately known as his "cell". We sat together and had a quiet moment. It seemed like time stood still for awhile. We kissed and all of my fears were gone. It was the real thing. From that moment on, I knew I wanted to spend every waking second with him. And we have.

I was able to see some wonderful friends and have those long awaited moments of old friendship; Girly chats, city adventures, and the wonderful feeling of having my spirit connect to other incredible humans. I was once again able to walk the streets of London, the most beautiful place, with my hand and heart intertwined with Josh's. I was in heaven. Heavenly bliss. Or as some called it, La La Land.

Sad goodbyes were said once again but this time, it was only for my London friends. Josh would be joining me soon in America and we would move to Provo together. Did I mention love does crazy things? Well it does, I moved to Provo. My least favorite place in the world. I would rather live in Compton. While there were some genuine and kind people, I learned the hard way that just because someone says they're a friend, Mormon, or good person, it doesn't mean it is true. I shed many tears and heartache with people calling me a liar, rude, and judgmental. It hurt a lot. I won't go into the details of that... however, I will focus on the positive. I ultimately found my husband.... but as we would later learn, the heartache would not limit itself just to a city...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man I haven't read your blog in a very long time, I assumed you gave it up a while back so I haven't checked it until now.

Your posts keep me quite literally enthralled, but more importantly to me... reading them makes me feel like there IS someone out there that understands/knows what it's like to deal with the ugly side of some church members or through the amazing yet semi-awkward journey of discovering your bestfriend and soul mate. It's nice to read about someone else's life and for a few minutes forget about mine.

Keep posting Misty, I'm listening :)