As most of you know, I have a slight obsession with music. I am constantly listening to something and I go to gigs about once a month... until I came to London. I have gone to some festivals with music but not an actual gig. If there is a gig I want to go to, tickets sell out and when you find them on the internet they are ridiculously expensive. For some reason, my life has taken an awful turn and music just isn't the same. I'm trying to figure it out and here's what I've come up with so far.
1) The music here is just different. I like brit rock as much as the next Bloc Party fan but... it's weird when that's a bulk of the music. Some classics and big bands here are Morrissey, the Clash, the Verve, and the Beatles. It's good, but different... This really doesn't even make sense... What I mean is, pop/rock/brit bands are the major bands and I'd like some variety. I can only take so much of the Wombats and Kooks. I do like a band called Glasvegas. They are from Scotland and they're pretty cool. Check 'em out.
2) Music is a very emotional thing for me and I gravitate towards music that I identify with. My circumstances have changed since I've lived in Vegas and I've had to change TONS of my music in order to not be home sick- It's actually threatening to my health to listen to Demon Days.... I'm just baaaaarely able to start listening to Neko Case again.
3) I don't have any friends that are really into music! I just met a couple of kids this last week that are my kinda people so hopefully I'll drag them to some gigs.
4) I refused to like any house/techno/dance music when I got here. It all seems pretty cheesy. However, I've been going to some big festivals where they have stacks of speakers blaring Benny Benassi or Basement Jaxxx and I LOVE IT. It's really grown on me. Like a fungus. I'd like to get my hands on some good stuff.
5) This ties in with #1 but I just don't feel excited about any bands right now. I was into the Foals for a second but... meh... I've resorted back to my favorites but there isn't anything that I've been excited about. I'm looking for an album that I can listen to front to back. For example, Clarity by Jimmy Eat World is one of my favorite albums of all time... I'd like something like that. If you have any suggestions, old or new, please let me know!
To sum all of this up, I'm just frustrated that I can't figure out what my problem is. I can't find any music that I feel fits me... You may think, eh, it's just music... but for me, a 4 month slump with music is devestating! Maybe I'm just being apathetic? Maybe my chop of emotions has done some permanent damage... Anyone? Ideas?

4 comments:
Hmm.. Have you ever listened to TV On the Radio? I'm really loving their recent album, "Dear Science,". Also, don't know if you've ever heard of Stars, but they're one of those Broken Social Scene spin-off bands. I suggest their album "Set Yourself On Fire", if you haven't heard them. And, I don't know if you've looked into any of the stuff I posted about on my blog, but I think you'd really enjoy Built To Spill ("Keep It Like a Secret" is probably their best) and Islands ("Arm's Way" for them).
I don't know, that's what I've been most into lately, and knowing your tastes I think you'd like it too. Maybe something in there will give you a musical spark, hehe.
It sounds like what you need is an album called "World Container" by The Tragically Hip. They are not British or American (Canadian) so it keeps nostalgia to a minimum. Figure out any way you can to get this album and listen to the whole thing. You'll enjoy it. You'll smile.
Alex...
Argh, TV on the Radio is a problem. I've listened to some of their older stuffs and I was going to see them here in London last weekend but of course, the elements combined against me and I wasn't able to see them.
I had a friend that just gave me a bunch of stuff from Stars and so far I've liked it... I'll keep trying though.
I haven't been a huge fan of Built to Spill but maybe I just had a bad trip.
*sigh* I'll keep trying.
Thanks Steven, I will find that album and give it a listen.
clarity sucks! <3 johnnnnnn
Post a Comment