On the way home, we drove past Camden town. I'm so happy: I saw my first real british punks. It was amazing. They had mohawks, tight clothes, leather, piercings, colored hair... and there were TONS of them! Like, you might see them in America gathering somewhere but throughout this whole town, there were punks everywhere! I found out there are some cool concert venues down there so I'll have to find a friend that would be into that kinda stuff and see some shows. As many of you know, I really wanted to come out here to see/experience art, music, and history. Well, I'm also going to be finishing some old business. On July 4th I'm going to be shelling out almost a $100 bucks to go to a music festival. Why $100 you ask? Siouxsie Sioux! Yes kids, Misty's childhood/lifelong favorite musician is going to play in Hyde Park and I'm going to see her! Mind you, the first and last time I saw Siouxsie live was when I was about 7 years old. I can hardly believe it.... I also get to see Morrissey, Beck, and about 10 other awesome bands. Life is so freakin good.
I'd like to catch up on a few little "bits and bobs" as they say here in England. There are some things that happen and baffle me about the London way.
1) The toilets have these huge handles to flush... I hate that I have to not only touch them to flush but totally crank the handle. Weird.
2) Being an American in England sucks. I seriously get made fun of at least 2 times a day by my roommates about how anything that Americans have done- the British do better. Basically, it's getting old. (And it's not true. They think just because they have the bloody Beatles they're better than everyone else)
3) For a people who shun the American way of "fast food" they sure do smoke like chimneys and drink like fish.
4) The driving here is terrifying. I am so scared to cross streets because a) I'm used to traffic going a certain way. b) I seriously don't think they have any kind of driving laws as far as lane switching is concerned and c) The double decker busses and every other car wait until the last minute to slam on their brakes to stop.
5) I have yet to see a real crumpet or rain.
6) The food here is amazing. I'd just like to point out that it's not "British" food. Last night I had a full peach creme crepe and half of a savory broccoli and cheese one. Yesterday I had some amazing strawberries and bananas. Last week I had a kabab that was nothing like any "kabob" I've ever had in the states. Every tomato I've eaten has been perfectly ripe and tasty.
7) It drives me nuts that our hot and cold water in the bathroom are on separate faucets... it sucks trying to comfortably wash your face.
8) I was reprimanded by my roommate about they way I talk. She said, "Misty, you're English now. No more saying that things are 'awesome' or 'great' or even 'rad.' You now have to say things are 'wicked' or 'fantastic' or 'brilliant.'"
9) We have construction going on directly behind our house that is soooo annoying. They started digging at the ground and the entire house rattles like a 4.7 earthquake. The other day I looked down there to see what they were doing and I saw this man with shorts, calf high doc martin boots, and no shirt wandering around working. Seriously... where are the laws?!
10) Being in the tubes late at night might be one of my new favorite things. I love when everyone is chatty and the windows are open. For some reason, it feels good.
Although there are some things that I seriously miss like mexican food and driving, I like it here. The weather is beautiful and every day feels like an adventure.... and... not all the British are so rude. The nice ones make it worth it. =)

4 comments:
Great use of a song title for that blog Misty.
A Brit in Las Vegas
Wow... you know it? Who are you?
Think Make A Wish; think Bloke (another word for your they say, we say)
ABiLV
Davydd?! Yay!!! I'm so glad you found my blog!
Post a Comment